The Council may, in manner provided by the Municipal Corporations Act 1886, make, alter, repeal, and bring into force, all such by-laws as they shall think proper and reasonable with respect to the subject of drainage and sanitation, and in particular, but without limiting the generality of this section, the Council may by any such by-law provide as to all or any of the following matters:
(1) For prescribing the size, materials, construction, grade, ventilation, and other particulars of all private drains laid or to be laid within the city, and compelling the providing and laying of private drains by the owners or occupiers of private premises:
(2) For issuing licenses for the erection of water-closets and urinals in private premises, and for the connection thereof with the Corporation waterworks and public drains respectively:
(3) For prescribing the materials, construction, and ventilation of water-closets and urinals and cisterns connected therewith respectively, and compelling the providing and affixing thereof by the owners or occupiers of private premises and the removal or disuse of privies or earth or other closets:
(4) For prescribing the traps, ventilation pipes and shafts, and any other sanitary appliances to be provided and affixed in such premises in connection with private drains, water-closets, urinals, or otherwise, and for compelling the providing and affixing thereof by the owner or occupiers:
(5) For prescribing the times, modes, and conditions of connecting and disconnecting private drains with or from public drains, and of connecting or disconnecting closets, urinals, drains, baths, sinks, rain-water pipes, and other sanitary conveniences and appliances, and stables, manufacturies, and other buildings, with or from private drains, and for compelling such connection and disconnection by the owners or occupiers of private premises:
(6) For compelling the maintenance, repairs, cleansing and renewal of all private drains, water-closets, urinals, and other sanitary conveniences now or hereafter to be laid, erected, or affixed, and the appliances thereof respectively:
(7) For providing that any work to be done by any owners or occupiers of private premises in connection with the drainage or sanitation thereof shall be done subject to the direction of some officer of the Council:
(8) For requiring owners or occupiers of private premises to alter the existing drainage and sanitation works of or connected with such premises:
(9) To provide for any injury to any part of a public drain, or any displacement of the ground in which the same is laid, being made good by or at the expense of the person doing or causing such injury or displacement:
(10) For protecting the public drains and covered watercourses, and pumping-stations and machinery, and all ventilating-shafts, traps, manholes, gratings, and other appurtenances thereof respectively from trespass or injury:
(11) For preventing the sweeping, raking, or placing of dust, earth, or rubbish into public drains and covered watercourses, and water-closets, urinals, drains, and other appliances directly or indirectly connected therewith respectively.
(12) For directing in what manner and under what conditions private streets and rights-of-way shall be drained into the public drains and covered or other watercourses:
(13) For prescribing the lowest levels, either for the city generally or as to certain parts or streets of the city, and either with or without leaving such levels to be ascertained in particular cases by the Council or any officer of the Council or other person, at which any part of any building, erection, cellar, or structure may, with regard to interference with public or private drains or covered watercourses, be erected within the city:
(14) For qualifying and authorising qualified persons to do work comprised in any of the foregoing subsections, and any other work connected with drainage or sanitation, and for preventing unqualified persons from doing any such work:
(15) For appointing fees payable to the Borough Fund for any inspection, superintendence, or other service performed by the City Surveyor, Drainage Engineer, or other officer of the Council, under any by-law, and for the licenses of qualified persons, and any other matter or thing specified in such by-law.