(1) The Council may, with the approval of the Director and subject to the terms and conditions hereinafter mentioned, and upon such additional terms and conditions not inconsistent with the provisions of this Act as it deems fit, let by way of lease any land, being part of the aerodrome, upon terms permitting the lessee to erect thereon buildings for the housing, repair, and construction of aircraft, or for accommodation houses, hotels, general stores, petrol stations, or any other buildings, equipment, or appurtenances necessary or desirable in the opinion of the Council for the purposes of the aerodrome.
(2) Any such lease may be for such term and may contain such rights of renewal as the Council with the approval of the Director may think fit.
(3) No building shall be erected by the lessee except in accordance with plans and specifications approved by the Council and complying with the provisions of any bylaws of the Council applying thereto.
(4) If at any time during the term of any such lease the land demised thereby or any part thereof is required by the Council for the purposes of the aerodrome, the Council may terminate such lease as to the whole of the demised land, or as to so much thereof as is required as aforesaid, without liability for the payment of compensation (unless the same be expressly authorised as hereinafter mentioned by the provisions of the lease), or liability to any action, or claim for damages in respect of such termination.
(5) Any such lease may contain a provision that upon the termination thereof as to the whole of the demised land, or as to so much thereof as is required as aforesaid, the Council shall pay to the lessee compensation for the then value of the buildings then upon the demised land, or the part thereof resumed, as the case may be, such value to be determined at the time of such termination of lease, and if not mutually agreed upon such value shall be determined by 2 arbitrators and their umpire pursuant to the provisions of the Arbitration Act 1908:
provided that no such provision as aforesaid shall be contained in any such lease, or if contained therein shall have any effect, unless a further provision be inserted therein fixing the maximum value of any buildings to be erected by the lessee upon the demised land, and under no circumstances whatsoever shall the compensation payable to the lessee under such lease exceed the maximum value so fixed.
(6) If at any time during the term of any such lease the Council is of opinion that any building, erection, tree, or thing on any part of the demised land restricts, or may restrict, or in any way interfere with the manoeuvring of aircraft on or over the aerodrome, or in any way whatsoever interferes with the full and efficient use of the aerodrome, the Council may require the lessee to remove any such building, erection, tree, or thing without the payment of compensation or liability to any action or claim for damages in respect thereof, except as provided in the next succeeding subsection. In such event the Council shall give written notice to the lessee requiring him, within a period stated in such notice, to remove such building, erection, tree, or thing, and if the lessee fails, neglects, or refuses to comply with the provisions of any such notice within the period therein mentioned the Council may effect such removal, and the lessee shall upon demand by the Council pay to it the expenses incurred in and about such removal, or at its option the Council may terminate the lease and all the rights or privileges of the lessee thereunder.
(7) If under the last preceding subsection the Council requires or effects the removal of any building or erection erected by the lessee under and in accordance with the provisions of the lease, the Council shall pay to the lessee reasonable compensation therefor to be determined by reference to the lessee's interest therein as at the time of the removal, and if not mutually agreed upon such compensation shall be determined by 2 arbitrators and their umpire pursuant to the provisions of the Arbitration Act 1908.
(8) The provisions of the Land Act 1948, the Public Works Act 1928, the Land Subdivision in Counties Act 1946, or of any other Act relating to the subdivision of land for sale or lease or other disposition, or to the construction of roads, shall not apply to the subdivision of any land being part of the aerodrome for all or any of the purposes set out in subsection (1), or to the laying out on the aerodrome of access roads to the land so subdivided:
provided that nothing in this subsection shall affect in any way the operation of the provisions of section 167 of the Land Transfer Act 1952.
Section 6(1): amended, on 10 August 1992, pursuant to section 46(3) of the Civil Aviation Amendment Act 1992 (1992 No 75).
Section 6(2): amended, on 10 August 1992, pursuant to section 46(3) of the Civil Aviation Amendment Act 1992 (1992 No 75).