(1) Notwithstanding the provisions of any other enactment, the Wellington City Council may by special order prohibit or restrict either generally or during particular hours and subject to such exceptions and conditions as to occasional user or otherwise as may be specified in the order the driving or parking of any vehicle on that part of Cuba Street, Wellington, lying between the southern boundary of its intersection with Dixon Street and the northern boundary of its intersection with Ghuznee Street.
(2) The first public notice of any resolution under subsection (1) shall, in addition to any other particulars required to be given therein, contain a statement to the effect that any person likely to be affected by the proposal contained in the resolution may, by writing under his hand delivered to the Town Clerk and received at the office of the Council not later than 14 days after publication of the notice, object to the proposal and that any such person will be given the opportunity of being heard by the Council.
(3) Where any person objects to the proposal in accordance with subsection (2), the Council shall appoint a day for considering the objection and shall give notice to the objector of the time when and place where the objection is to be heard. Any such time shall be not earlier than 7 days after the date on which the notice of objection was received by the clerk.
(4) The Council, at the time and place stated in the notice referred to in subsection (3), shall consider the objection and, after hearing any submissions made by or on behalf of the objector, may either dismiss the objection or make such modifications to the proposal to which the objection relates as it thinks fit. The hearing of any such objection may be adjourned from time to time and from place to place.
(5) Where any proposal is modified under subsection (4), the modified proposal shall, for the purposes of the special order, be deemed to be contained in the original resolution and may be confirmed at a subsequent meeting of the Council in accordance with the Municipal Corporations Act 1954 without any further notification of the original resolution as modified:
provided that where there are more objectors than 1, the Council shall, as far as practicable, hear all objections together and give each objector an opportunity of considering and being heard in respect of all other objections.
(6) No resolution under this section shall be confirmed until the Council has considered all objections of which notice has been given in accordance with this section.