Preamble

(1)

In 1870 the Wairarapa Town Lands Management Act 1870 vested in trustees, and otherwise made better provision for the management of, certain land in the Townships of Masterton and Greytown, being land that was, before the passing of that Act, vested in Charles Rooking Carter and was,—

(a)

in part, land set apart for the formation of a settlement upon the principle of a small farm association; and

(b)

in part, land set apart for public purposes for the service of the settlement; and

(2)

The responsibilities of those trustees, in relation to the parts of that land that were in the Township of Masterton, have devolved to the body corporate known as the Masterton Trust Lands Trust (which was constituted under the name of the Masterton Trust Lands Trustees by the Masterton Trust Lands Act 1889); and

(3)

Under section 23 of the Masterton Trust Lands Act 1966, the Masterton Trust Lands Trust holds, and is deemed always to have held, the land referred to in that Act as the general trust lands and the land referred to in that Act as the scholarship lands for the purposes specified in that section; and

(4)

It is desired—

(a)

to abolish the distinction between general trust lands and scholarship lands; and

(b)

to vary the provisions relating to the election of the members of the Masterton Trust Lands Trust; and

(c)

to extend the powers of the Masterton Trust Lands Trust in relation to the assets vested in it; and

(d)

to consolidate and amend the Masterton Trust Lands Act 1966.