(1) The Museum of Transport and Technology, which opened in 1964 on land in the Western Springs Reserve leased from the Auckland City Council by the Museum of Transport and Technology Trust Board, displays examples of New Zealand’s and Auckland’s transport and technological heritage, and has as its core activities the conservation of that heritage, education concerning that heritage, and recreation involving that heritage:
(2) Visitors to and users of the Museum come from all local authority areas in the Auckland region:
(3) The Trust Board wishes the Museum to be securely funded by all local authorities in the Auckland region, on a basis taking account of the capital values and populations of their areas:
(4) If the Museum is to be funded by those local authorities, it is desirable that they should have a formal role in its governance:
(5) The objects of this Act cannot be attained otherwise than by legislation.