Public Reserves Sale Act 1879

Public Reserves Sale Act 1879

Public Act1879 No 23
Date of assent19 December 1879

An Act to authorize the Sale of certain Public Reserves.

  • Preamble

    WHEREAS the lands described in the Schedules hereto have been duly reserved for various purposes of public utility, and the said reserves are no longer required for such purposes: And whereas all the aforesaid lands are now vested in Her Majesty, and it is expedient that the same should be sold, or appropriated for other purposes respectively:

BE IT THEREFORE ENACTED by the General Assembly of New Zealand in Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1 Short Title
  • The Short Title of this Act is The Public Reserves Sale Act 1879.

2 Reserves in Schedules to be sold
  • The lands described in Schedule 1 may, at any time after the passing of this Act, be sold as town lands, suburban lands, or rural lands, under the Waste Lands Regulations for the time being in force within the provincial district in which they are respectively situated.

    The lands described in Schedule 2, which it was declared by The Public Reserves Sale Act 1878, should be sold as town lands, may at any time after the passing of this Act be sold as suburban lands, upon such terms as the Governor in Council may determine, or may be set apart as sites for village settlements in pursuance of The Land Act 1877 Amendment Act 1879.


Schedule 1

  • Schedule 1 was amended, as from 19 November 1907, by section 2 Statutes Amendment Act 1907 by omitting the items relating to Nelson and Marlborough.

AUCKLAND.—WAIHEKE LANDING-PLACE.

ALL that parcel of land being part of Maxwell's Claim, in the Parish of Waiheke, Waiheke Survey District, in the Provincial District of Auckland, containing twenty-three (23) acres, more or less. Bounded towards the North by land granted to TJ Waters, 1040 links; towards the East by the sea; towards the South by land granted to TJ Waters, 1930 links; and towards the West by land granted to TJ Waters, 1580 links, save and except three (3) acres for a road; be all the aforesaid linkages more or less: as the same is delineated on the plan deposited in the Survey Office, Auckland.

TARANAKI.—WHENUAKURA FERRY RESERVE.

All that parcel of land in the Provincial District of Taranaki, containing by admeasurement two (2) roods and twenty-six (26) perches, more or less, being part of section numbered 96 on the map of the Whenuakura Block, Carlyle Survey District. Bounded towards the North and East by the Raumano Stream; towards the South by a road, 330 links; and towards the West by the main road, 439 links.

Also, all that parcel of land in the Provincial District of Taranaki, containing by admeasurement two (2) acres and three (3) roods, more or less, being the other part of the said Allotment No 96, Whenuakura Block. Bounded towards the North by a road, 371 links; towards the East and South by the Raumano Stream; towards the West by the Patea River, and also by the main road 1079 links. Exclusive of the portion required for a line of railway.

[Repealed]

Schedule 2

CANTERBURY—TOWNSHIP OF DROMORE.

ALL that parcel of land in the Provincial District of Canterbury, being portions of Reserves 1770 and 1467, containing by admeasurement two hundred and thirty (230) acres, more or less, situate north-westward, south-westward, and south-eastward of that portion of the Township of Dromore that has been subdivided into quarter-acre sections: as the same is delineated on the plan deposited in the Survey Office, Christchurch.

TOWNSHIP OF HINDS.

All that parcel of land in the Provincial District of Canterbury, being portion of Reserve No 1371, containing by admeasurement four hundred and thirty-four (434) acres, more or less, situate to the westward, south-westward, and south-eastward of that portion of the Township of Hinds that has been subdivided into quarter-acre sections: as the same is delineated on the plan deposited in the Survey Office, Christchurch.

TOWNSHIP OF ORARI.

All that parcel of land in the Provincial District of Canterbury, being portion of Reserve No 389, containing one hundred and fifty-seven (157) acres, more or less, situate north-westward and south-westward of that portion of the Township of Orari that has been subdivided into quarter-acre sections: as the same is delineated on the plan deposited in the Survey Office, Christchurch.

TOWNSHIP OF HORNDON.

All that parcel of land in the Provincial District of Canterbury, being portions of Reserves Nos 1748, 1749, and 1750, containing two hundred and ninety-six (296) acres, more or less, situate eastward, westward, and north-westward of that portion of the Township of Horndon that has been subdivided into quarter-acre sections: as the same is delineated on the plan deposited in the Survey Office, Christchurch.

TOWNSHIP OF AYLESBURY.

All that parcel of land in the Provincial District of Canterbury, being portions of Reserves Nos 1751, 1754, and 1760, containing one hundred and ninety (190) acres, more or less, situate north-westward and south-eastward of that portion of the Township of Aylesbury that has been subdivided into quarter-acre sections: as the same is delineated on the plan deposited in the Survey Office, Christchurch.

TOWNSHIP OF SOUTH RAKAIA.

All that parcel of land in the Provincial District of Canterbury, being portion of Reserve No 174, containing three hundred and seventy (370) acres, more or less, situate westward of the street known as the West Town Belt; also all that parcel of land being Reserve No 265, containing six hundred and fifty-three (653) acres, more or less, situate westward of Reserve No 174, both in the Township of South Rakaia: as the same are delineated on the plan deposited in the Survey Office, Christchurch.