Whereas the land to which this section relates has been granted in fee simple:
And whereas the owners cannot be located and the land has been abandoned:
And whereas it is desired that the land should be resumed by Her Majesty, but subject to the right of the owners and any other persons having estates or interests in the land to claim and receive compensation:
Be it therefore enacted as follows:
(1) Subject to subsections (2) and (3), the Governor-General may, from time to time, by Proclamation made on the recommendation of the Minister of Lands, declare that any land, or any portion of the land, to which this section relates shall, as from a date specified in any such Proclamation, be vested in Her Majesty as Crown land subject to the Land Act 1948.
(2) No land shall be so declared to be vested in Her Majesty so long as any person who is liable to pay rates on that land continues to pay those rates, except with the consent of that person.
(3) Before recommending the making of a Proclamation under subsection (1), the Minister of Lands shall cause not less than 3 months' notice of his intention to do so to be given in the Gazette and such newspaper or newspapers as he thinks fit.
(4) If, at any time within 5 years after the date specified in any Proclamation issued under subsection (1), the registered proprietor or any other person having any estate or interest in any land to which the Proclamation relates adduces satisfactory evidence of title to or interest in that land, he shall be entitled to claim compensation for his interest in the land.
(5) Such compensation shall be determined by the Land Settlement Board and shall, without further appropriation than this section, be paid out of money appropriated by Parliament for the purpose.
(6) In no case shall such compensation exceed—
as determined by the Board as at the date of the Proclamation.
(7) This section relates to all those pieces of land situated in the Nelson Land District, Buller County, comprising 1.1590 hectares more or less, being sections 1, 2, 5, 8, 22, 27, 30, 32, 47, 48, 49, 51, 53, 54, 57, 58, 115, 123, 124, part Section 28, parts Section 50 and parts Section 127, Town of Denniston, situated in Block VI, Kawatiri Survey District (SO Plan 12601).