(1) Except as otherwise provided in any other Act, New Zealand Government ships shall fly the New Zealand Flag.
(2) New Zealand ships other than New Zealand Government ships shall fly either the New Zealand Flag or the marine flag of New Zealand, but shall not fly both flags.
(3) Subject to subsection (4), every New Zealand ship required or entitled to fly the New Zealand national colours shall fly the appropriate national colours in the following circumstances:
(4) Subsection (3)(c) applies only to ships registered under section 6(1) and ships (other than barges) registered under section 8(1).
(5) The master of any New Zealand ship required or entitled to fly the New Zealand national colours commits an offence and is liable to a fine not exceeding $5,000 if the ship—
Compare: 1952 No 49 ss 5, 6; Shipping Registration Act 1981 s 30 (Aust)