(1) In this section, unless the context otherwise requires,—
(a) includes any agreement, arrangement, contract, covenant, deed, or understanding, whether oral or written, whether express or implied, and whether or not enforceable at law; and
(b) without limiting the generality of paragraph (a), includes any contract of service and any agreement, arrangement, contract, covenant, or deed, creating or evidencing a trust
authority means a regional health authority (including the Health Funding Authority) established by Order in Council in accordance with section 32 of the Health and Disability Services Act 1993
the commission means the Public Health Commission established by section 27 of the Health and Disability Services Act 1993
pharmaceuticals means substances or things that are medicines, therapeutic medical devices, or products or things related to pharmaceuticals
reached includes entered into, granted, and made; and reaching has a corresponding meaning
specified body means a body that is an authority, the commission, or any person wholly owned by a specified body or 2 or more specified bodies
subsidiary has the same meaning as in section 5 of the Companies Act 1993.
(3) It is hereby declared that nothing in Part 2 of the Commerce Act 1986 applies, or has ever applied, to—
(4) For the purposes of section 2(7) of the Commerce Act 1986 (which relates to interconnected bodies corporate), neither the commission nor any authority or hospital and health service (within the meaning of section 2 of the Health and Disability Services Act 1993) shall be regarded as having been, at any time before the commencement of the Commerce Amendment Act 1994, a subsidiary of the Crown.
(5) No person other than the Commerce Commission may commence any proceedings against an authority under section 81 or section 82 of the Commerce Act 1986 in respect of any act, matter, or thing, that has been done or will be done before 1 July 1994.
(6) Amendment(s) incorporated in the Act(s).
Section 2(1) authority: amended, on 1 July 1998, by section 5(4) of the Health and Disability Services Amendment Act 1998 (1998 No 74).
Section 2(1) subsidiary: replaced, on 5 December 2013, by section 14 of the Companies Amendment Act 2013 (2013 No 111).
Section 2(2): amended, on 1 January 2001, by section 111(1) of the New Zealand Public Health and Disability Act 2000 (2000 No 91).
Section 2(4): amended, on 1 July 1998, by section 5(4) of the Health and Disability Services Amendment Act 1998 (1998 No 74).
Section 2(4): amended, on 9 December 1994, by section 2(2) of the Commerce Amendment Act 1994 (1994 No 135).