1 Short Title and commencement
Tokelau Public Service
2 New employer for employees of Tokelau Public Service
3 Provisions relating to Tokelau Public Service repealed
Amendments to Government Superannuation Fund Act 1956
4 Superannuation rights of certain former employees of Tokelau Public Service
5 Consequential amendment
An Act to amend the Tokelau Act 1948
BE IT ENACTED by the Parliament of New Zealand as follows:
(1) This Act may be cited as the Tokelau Amendment Act 1999, and is part of the Tokelau Act 1948.
(2) Sections 3 to 5 come into force on the commencement of the order under section 2(1).
(3) The rest of this Act comes into force on the day on which it receives the Royal Assent.
(1) The Governor-General may, by Order in Council, recognise any body, institution, or office in Tokelau as successor to the State Services Commissioner as the employer for the Tokelau Public Service.
(2) On the commencement of the order,—
(a) The State Services Commissioner ceases to be the employer of people employed in the Tokelau Public Service immediately before that commencement; and
(b) The body or institution recognised, or the holder of the office recognised, becomes the employer of those employees.
(1) The following enactments are repealed:
(a) Sections 2 to 15, 16(2), 16(3), and 17 of the Tokelau Amendment Act 1967:
(b) Sections 5 and 6 of the Tokelau Amendment Act 1969:
(c) Subsections (3) and (4)(a) of section 3 of the Tokelau Amendment Act 1976:
(d) So much of Schedule 5 of the State Sector Act 1988 as relates to the Tokelau Amendment Act 1967.
(2) Section 3(2) of the Tokelau Amendment Act 1976 is amended by repealing subparagraphs (i) to (iii), and substituting the following subparagraph:
“(iii) The definition of the term public purposes in section 18(1), and section 24(4).”
(3) Section 3(4)(b) of the Tokelau Amendment Act 1976 is amended by omitting the expression “8(3), 14(5)(a),”.
(4) Subsections (1) to (3) do not affect—
(a) The continued existence of the Tokelau Public Service; or
(b) The continued employment in the Tokelau Public Service, or the terms and conditions of employment, of any person employed in the Tokelau Public Service immediately before the commencement of this section.
(5) Subsection (4) does not limit or affect the powers of the General Fono.
This section inserted section 2C in the Government Superannuation Fund Act 1956
(1) This section amended Section 2(1) of the Government Superannuation Fund Act 1956.
(2) Section 16(1)(a) of the Tokelau Amendment Act 1967 is repealed.