(1) After notice has been given under section 11, if the civil union is to be solemnised by a civil union celebrant or an exempt body, the Registrar must issue a licence and information return forms in accordance with this section, and section 15 or section 16 applies. (If the civil union is to be solemnised by a Registrar, section 14 applies.)
(2) Despite subsection (1), a Registrar must not issue a licence and information return forms if—
(3) The Registrar may not issue the licence and information return forms sooner than the third day after the notice was given, unless the Registrar is satisfied that parties to the intended civil union would be inconvenienced by the delay.
(4) The licence must be in the prescribed form, and must authorise the civil union of the 2 people specified in the licence at the place, or at one of the 2 places, in New Zealand, specified in the licence.
(5) A Registrar other than the Registrar to whom the notice was given may issue the licence and information return forms, in which case the Registrar to whom the notice was given does not need to do so.
Compare: 1955 No 92 ss 24, 28