(1) This section provides an outline of this Act and indicates its purpose and scope, but it does not limit or affect the application or interpretation of any of the individual provisions of the Act.
(2) This Act regulates freedom camping—
(a) on land controlled or managed by local authorities (city, district, and regional councils); and
(b) on land controlled or managed by the Department of Conservation under the Conservation Act 1987, the National Parks Act 1980, the Reserves Act 1977, or the Wildlife Act 1953.
(3) However, the powers of regulation under the Act do not allow for freedom camping to be prohibited on all land controlled or managed by a particular local authority or on all land controlled or managed by the Department.
(4) This Act does not regulate freedom camping on private land.
(5) Part 1 provides for preliminary matters and defines words and phrases used in the Act.
(6) Part 2 has 2 subparts. Subpart 1 deals with freedom camping on land under the control of local authorities. Subpart 2 deals with freedom camping on the land referred to in subsection (2)(b). Freedom camping is permitted under this Part unless it is restricted or prohibited in accordance with the provisions of each subpart.
(7) Part 3 has 5 subparts, which deal with the following matters:
(a) subpart 1: offences, defences, and penalties:
(b) subpart 2: how proceedings for an offence may be commenced and the persons against whom the proceedings may be taken:
(c) subpart 3: the appointment and powers of enforcement officers and matters relating to any property seized by an enforcement officer:
(d) subpart 4: miscellaneous matters:
(e) subpart 5: transitional infringement offence provisions relating to current local authority camping-related bylaws.