This note is not part of the regulations, but is intended to indicate their general effect.
These regulations, which come into force on 4 October 1999, make a number of changes to the fees prescribed in the principal regulations. The main changes can be summarised as follows:
• Applicants for the renewal of 2 or more endorsements of Type I, O, P, or V will no longer be required to pay a separate application fee for each renewal, but only 1 application fee (the higher or highest application fee for 1 of the endorsements for which renewal is sought):
• Additional monthly fees currently payable by the holder of a Type I, O, P, or V endorsement who applies for an additional endorsement of Type I, O, P, or V are abolished:
• Holders of a Type I endorsement who apply for authority to provide instruction in respect of 1 or more additional classes of driver licence are no longer required to pay an additional fee:
• Applicants for the issue of a Type I, O, P, or V endorsement will now have the option (in general) of applying for the issue or renewal of an endorsement for either a period of 1 year or a period of 5 years, with different levels of fee payable depending on the duration of the endorsement to be issued or renewed. At present, endorsements are issued or renewed (in general) for a period of 5 years:
• Applicants for a Type P endorsement issued only for the purpose of driving large passenger service vehicles (generally buses) will now be required to pay a fit and proper person checking fee only if the applicant has not undergone a fit and proper person check within the previous 5 years. The amount of the fit and proper person checking fee for this class of applicant (where payable) is reduced from $141.00 to $28.20.
A number of related amendments are made to the principal regulations dealing with fit and proper person checking fees and refunds. Provision is made for refunds on the conversion of 5-year endorsements to 1-year endorsements, and also for existing holders of 2 or more endorsements of Type I, O, P, or V.