Dated at Wellington this 21st day of December 2010.
Hon Dr Lockwood Smith,
Speaker of the House of Representatives.
This note is not part of the determination, but is intended to indicate its general effect.
This determination, which comes into force on 1 January 2011, determines that the travel, accommodation, attendance, and communications services in respect of members of Parliament are those set out in Parts 1 to 3 of the Directions by the Speaker of the House of Representatives (No 2) 2010 (the Speaker's Directions (No 2) 2010). Those services are in addition to the travel, accommodation, and communications services determined in the Parliamentary (Official Inter-Parliamentary Travel Programme) Travel and Accommodation Determination 2007.
This determination replaces the Parliamentary Travel, Accommodation, Attendance, and Communications Services Determination (No 2) 2010, which determined that the travel, accommodation, attendance, and communications services of members of Parliament were those set out in Parts 1 to 3 of the document entitled Directions by the Speaker of the House of Representatives 2010 (the Speaker's Directions 2010).
The Speaker's Directions (No 2) 2010 are in substantially the same terms as the Speaker's Directions 2010, except that changes are made in respect of the international travel rebate and technical changes are made to take account of amendments made to the Parliamentary Service Act 2000 by the Parliamentary Service Amendment Act 2010 (which inserted in the principal Act a permanent definition of the term funding entitlements for parliamentary purposes and also a new section that provides for the Parliamentary Service to recover any amount paid in respect of a member or party where the Parliamentary Service subsequently finds that there was no entitlement to payment of that amount).
The changes in respect of the international travel rebate are as follows:
the rebate on members’ international air travel under clause 3.13 is narrowed, so that it applies to travel undertaken by the member for the purpose of undertaking parliamentary business that has been approved by the Speaker. Previously, the rebate on international air travel payable under this clause applied whether the travel undertaken by the member was for private purposes (other than private business purposes), for parliamentary business, or for both private purposes and parliamentary business. The effect is that the new rules would allow an incidental component of private use of any type, while introducing the requirement that travel under the clause must be primarily for parliamentary business:
the amount of the rebate is unchanged, and depends on the member’s length of service. For example, if the rebate is payable to a member who has served 1 complete parliamentary term, the rebate is 25% of the cost of the international travel, and the member must pay the remaining 75% out of their own money. If the rebate is payable to a member who has served 4 or more complete Parliamentary terms, the rebate is 90% of the cost of the international travel, and the member must pay the remaining 10% out of their own money:
the other entitlement in clause 3.10 is unchanged. That entitles a member to travel by air on scheduled international air services if—
In that case, the full costs of the travel and accommodation are met from the party’s Party and Member Support appropriation and are a charge against the leadership funding allocation:
The Speaker is required, by section 20B(3) of the Civil List Act 1979, to ensure that a copy of the Speaker's Directions (No 2) 2010—
is available for inspection free of charge, or for purchase at a reasonable price, at Parliament House in Wellington and at any other place or places that he or she appoints:
is published on the Internet.
The document is published on the New Zealand Parliament Internet site at http://www.parliament.nz.