(1) By notice in the Gazette on 6 September 2012, the Minister of Local Government,—
(a) acting under section 255 of the Act, appointed Commissioners to perform and exercise the responsibilities, duties, and powers of the Council; and
(2) On 6 August 2012 a member of the Council resigned, and on 29 August 2012 another member of the Council resigned.
(3) It is possible that there may be further resignations before the next general election of the Council to be held on 17 October 2015.
(4) The members of the Council continue to hold office despite the appointment of Commissioners, but they cannot perform or exercise the responsibilities, duties, or powers of the Council during the term of the Commissioners' appointment.
(5) The Local Electoral Act 2001 requires a by-election to be held if a member of a local authority resigns more than 12 months before the next triennial election for local authorities. However, that Act does not address the situation of an unfilled vacancy when Commissioners are appointed or of a resignation of a member of a local authority during the term of appointment of Commissioners.
(6) The Act, under which the Commissioners have been appointed, provides in section 261(d) for the making of an Order in Council to make provision for a situation for which sufficient provision is not made by or under the Act.
(7) It is considered that the Act does not make sufficient provision for a situation in which by-elections are pending when Commissioners are appointed or that may be required after the appointment of Commissioners.