Resource Management Act 1991

  • Warning: Some amendments have not yet been incorporated
  • This version was replaced on 27 January 2017 to make corrections to sections 2(1), 165ZJ(1)(b), 224(c), 357(5), and Part 2 of Schedule 8 under section 25(1)(i) and (j)(ii), (iii), and (iv) of the Legislation Act 2012.
25 Residual powers of Minister for the Environment


Where any local authority is not exercising or performing any of its functions, powers, or duties under this Act to the extent that the Minister for the Environment considers necessary to achieve the purpose of this Act, the Minister may appoint, on such terms and conditions as the Minister thinks fit, 1 or more persons (including any officer of the public service) to exercise or perform all or any of those functions, powers, or duties in place of the local authority.


The Minister shall not make an appointment under subsection (1) until—


the local authority has been given written notice specifying the reasons why the Minister proposes to make the appointment; and


the local authority has a reasonable opportunity to satisfy the Minister that it has not failed to exercise or perform any of its functions, powers, or duties to the extent necessary to achieve the purpose of this Act, and having not succeeded in so satisfying the Minister, has failed to take proper steps within a time specified in the notice (being not less than 20 working days after the date of the notice) to remedy the defaults complained of.


Any person appointed under subsection (1) to exercise or perform the functions, powers, or duties of a local authority under this Act may do so as if the person were the local authority, and the provisions of this Act shall apply accordingly.


All costs, charges, and expenses incurred by the Minister for the purposes of this section, or by a person appointed by the Minister under this section in exercising or performing functions, powers, or duties of a local authority, shall be recoverable from the local authority as a debt due to the Crown or may be deducted from any money payable to the local authority by the Crown.